Skip to content
KEY BODY POSITIVE MESSAGES FOR TEACHERS AND PARENTS
- We need to listen to and pay attention to our body’s cues for hunger, thirst, exercise, and rest.
- Foods meet many needs (pleasure, social gathering, nutrition).
- Parents and teachers should encourage nutrition over calorie-counting (avoid over regulation).
- Disordered eating can be over-eating or restrictive eating and under-eating.
- Dieting is a futile, often harmful process of restrictive-eating.
- Healthy eating involves eating well-balanced snacks and meal is from a variety of food s to give you energy to carry out your daily activities.
- Teaching about eating disorders may introduce disordered eating to students who have not yet considered it.
- US research indicates that one in four school children live in “eating deserts” where nutritious food is not readily available and affordable from grocery store.